The next topic in our “10 Things to Know About” series is Hair!
1. Like nails, hair is made out of the protein, keratin.
2. Also like nails, the hair itself is not living. The hair follicle in the skin is living, but not the strand itself.
3. Hair typically grows at a rate of 4.4 mm per day (about 6 inches per year). This rate may vary with age, genetics, and hormones (i.e. pregnant women’s hair grows faster)
4. The average person sheds 50-100 hairs per day, which is normal.
5. Dandruff is not caused by a dirty head of hair, but rather a mild inflammation of the scalp that causes the skin to become scaly & flake off.
6. Shampoo should be applied mainly to the scalp. This is where the hair oils, bacteria, & sweat concentrate. This is especially true if you have a medicated shampoo because the medication needs to get into the scalp and living hair cells, not the dead strands.
7. Conditioner really is important. Not only does it moisturize the hair, but it also strengthens the hair and may provide some protection from UV damage. Apply conditioner to the strands (especially the tips) rather than the scalp unless directed otherwise in the instructions.
8. When drying your hair, avoid rubbing the hair with the towel as this may damage the hair. Instead, use the towel to gently squeeze the excess water or simply wrap the hair in the towel and let the towel absorb the excess water.
9. Again, similar to nails, hair is weakest when wet, so avoid too much pulling, tugging, brushing, etc. while hair is wet.
10. If you pull your hair up into ponytails, buns or similar styles, try not to put the ponytail/bun in the same place every time. This can damage and/or break the strands at the point where the hair band repeatedly tightens around the hair.
For More Information on Hair & Hair Care:
AAD – 10 Hair Care Habits that can Damage Your Hair http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/health-and-beauty/hair-care/stop-hair-damage
AAD – Tips for Healthy Hair http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/health-and-beauty/hair-care/tips-for-healthy-hair