Intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy uses short bursts of high energy light to penetrate into the skin and correct a variety of skin imperfections.
This laser therapy is used to effectively treat:
- Redness associated with rosacea
- Broken facial vessels
- Brown spots associated with sun damage
IPL is similar to other laser therapies in that it uses a beam of light to reduce pigmentation and red areas. However instead of just using one color or wavelength of light, IPL uses a range of wavelengths. This give us the ability to adjust how deep into the skin the light passes and what structures it targets. Because different structures in the skin absorb specific wavelenths of light more efficiently, we can use just the right amount of energy to target specific imperfections.
Advantages of IPL therapy include:
- Non-ablative and non-invasive procedure (does not involve destruction or surgery of the skin)
- Minimal discomfort or pain during the treatment
- Little to no downtime following the procedure
The IPL procedure typically takes 20-30 minutes and patients can return to their normal routine immediately. We typically advise patients that three to six sessions are necessary for optimum results and visits should be spaced four to six weeks apart.